Monday, December 10, 2007

Oprah and the Golden Compass

I always knew there was something fishy about Oprah -- through all the charitable giving and heart-warming television programming, I couldn't help but think that she was a bit naive. Her recent actions have removed all doubt.

Thank you, Oprah, for supporting America's most clueless Presidential candidate. I've read your snippets about his "vision" and leadership potential, but have yet to hear anything about experience, public policy, and his stand on the issues that matter.

I believe that Oprah will be the litmus test for modern democracy -- are voters really stupid enough to listen to her? Every speech this woman gives, every vote she earns, is only further proof that our national elections have degenerated into nothing more than a shallow popularity contest. This twit is on the road promoting the worst that democrats have to offer, and meanwhile Americans continue to ignore the best candidates we've seen in many years.

Educated democrats need to ask themselves if they are really willing to support the same candidate that Oprah is supporting.

It could be worse, however: at least she is not RUNNING for President herself.

And now on to "His Dark Materials."

I've been disturbed to see the Hollywood spin on this trilogy, describing it as a story about religion and a good fantasy film. A facebook group has even sprung up, called "Boycott the Boycotting of The Golden Compass." They claim that if you google the film, you will "see the ignorance," and that "atheists can write could fantasy as well."

Well, I googled it. What I found were major Secular/Atheist organizations griping that the book's "important anti-religious text and imagery" was largely absent from the film. I found quotes from the book which can only qualify as blatantly anti-Christian and anti-religious in general. I found an eloquent argument by Catholic league President Donohue, who more than justifies the need for a boycott on these films.

"Have you read it, Mark?"

Nope. I don't read every piece of crap churned out by quasi-intellectuals trying to damage the Church.

I will take another perspective on this issue. I first read "The Lord of the Rings" in the 8th grade, and the effect it had on me was profound. At the time, I had no idea I was being inculcated with virtues of manliness, faith, friendship, and courage, and idealism. All I knew is that the books spoke to the little man in me, and gave me permission to become a better version of myself. They also fired my imagination in a new way, and opened the door wide to a life of creativity.

We should not underestimate the power of stories -- they have the potential to shape and change lives. Hopefully, these changes are for the better. When they weren't writing them, both Lewis and Tolkien spoke and wrote extensively on the power of "faerie" stories. Lewis believed that stories could speak in a way that moved beyond philosophy and reason, expressing truth at the soul-level.

With the reams and reams of quality fantasy available to young readers, the atheist ravings of Pullman have no space on the bookshelf in any child's room. Bravo to the boycott, I say.

Just remember this: it is NEVER "just" a story, "just" a movie, or "just" a song. Meanings carry more deeply, whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

I just hope that Oprah doesn't add Pullman to her book club. Her Dark Materials, indeed.

No comments: