Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Losing your Mind in America

I've been reflecting on the latest string of shootings rocking America, thinking how to present my perspective on the issue. Then comes an interview with Colorado Archbishop Chaput -- one of the smartest men I've ever met -- and I hear my words spoken for me.
***
(From the CNA article)

When asked if the shootings are a reflection of anything in the larger American society, Archbishop Chaput said the events should teach Americans to be less self-centered. “We can't as a country stay on our course of self-absorption, callousness toward the poor and weak, and consumer excess, and then pretend to be shocked when people lose their balance and lash out violently. The farther away we get from our religious and moral identity, the fewer constraints we have on our choices and behaviors. Violence happens when we lack the interest and conscience to understand the damage we can do to others. That's the kind of society we're building.”

***

No comments: