Saturday, March 1, 2008

Rediscovering Music

The talented guitarist flew into a frenzy, the steel strings coming to a violent but well-earned and satisfying climax. As the piece ended and the enthusiastic applause died away, my friends across the table commented:

"Now we know why you get so angry at the Pop music scene. Why isn't this guy famous? He sounds better than all the famous guitar players that I've heard..."

Why indeed? I am constantly comforted by how easy it is to draw people into the realm of musical discovery. Once they're interested, however, it's hard to keep them there.

Somehow, human beings have a short-attention span for what is best for them.

The truth is that good music -- a staple in any truly well-balanced life -- takes a bit of commitment. Listening is an active process.

I've heard people say: "Well, I listened to Arvo Part's music, but it just doesn't do it for me. It's too slow and difficult. Isn't it all a matter of taste?"

Well, sort of. There is certainly the element of taste in artistic opinion. But "taste" is a developed and refined thing. Most people don't like more difficult forms of music for the same reasons that I've never met a five-year-old who enjoyed wine tasting.

Taste is developed. Just as we (hopefully!) become more advanced and perceptive readers during our lives, reaping the benefits of such abilities in all facets of our lives, listening is a developed process which must be WORKED at.

This entirely explains why people are often able to casually dismiss visual art which they like, but are likely to have violent reactions where music is concerned.

Music takes our time, and it demands that we give ourselves over to the observations of the composer and performers involved. It turns out that listening is not only a developed skill, but one that requires great patience and humbleness.

For my part, after over ten years of working and studying in music, I still wake up every morning with a learning/listening list which will never get shorter. I am constantly amazed at how little I know about my own field.

...and while it doesn't happen often anymore, I'm deeply comforted by the fact that I still come across music which challenges me and leaves me speechless. Recently, I've discovered the orchestral music of Giya Kancheli, the stunning soundscapes of the Cracow Klezmer Band (now known as the Bester Quartet), and the stunning guitar-work and compositions of Andreas Kapsalis. (As soon as Andreas's wonderful wife finishes her vocal album, I'm sure to add her to the list!)

The interesting thing about such artistic experience is that even though I've never met Giya Kancheli, I feel that I wouldn't be surprised by him. Meeting Andreas after one of his concerts, his demeanor and connection-ability was no surprise, considering what he communicated in his music.

I always urge my friends to explore and challenge themselves, knowing that by doing so they can only improve their basic characters. Music may comfort, but it can subtly alter us for the better or worse, as the ancients understood long before us. Certainly some free character-development is something we could all use?

No comments: