Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Niech Zyje Bal!

We are all entitled to the occasional indelible evening.

Surrounded by family and friends, in an intimate locale, in the middle of the city, the scene was set for something magical.

The music seemed to soar, every melody containing a special accent, rhythm falling with both metronomic accuracy and singular human feel.

The drinks flowed, the sound cascaded ever louder, and it seemed like sweet Jesus himself was pouring the wine and dancing along.

What exceptional human defect renders such evenings the exception rather than the norm? Or perhaps it is a modern social defect, and not peculiar to humanity as a whole?

I am the first person to advocate hard work and responsible living. That being said, is it possible that our culture has gotten it backwards? Our leisure, when it finally does come, is a false entertainment. We eschew quality food for fast food. We eschew personal time for internet connections. Most tragically, we eschew great music for a cheap substitute.

I'll never forget another magical evening at the famed Chicago "Blues" club, where the musician on stage was truly presenting a heartrending yet deeply comforting rendition of old-time blues. I heard a conversation behind me between songs, where a guy asked a young woman "what do you think?"

The sweat poured down the bluesman's face as he presented those assembled with the deepest feeling he could muster. The air crackled with energy.

"It's ok, but not really my thing," was all the young woman could say. How sad. How completely, utterly, and infuriatingly sad.

Authenticity in our time spent together is so rare, that we may have lost the ability to perceive it when it occurs. The cheap substitute is now the norm... but I guess if all you've ever had is fast-food, a porterhouse steak might take some getting used to.

Along with those I love, I am often buried in work, studies, and worries. I make every effort to break these doldrums, however, for the sake of simple humanity. It is so disappointing to see folks lose their sense of well-spent time, or to ignore it altogether...

All hard work aside, I think I shall take my new motto from the existentially rich yet simple words of singer/songwriter Maryla Rodowicz, who has long reminded us:

"niech zyje bal!"
(let the ball ever live!)

No comments: