Thursday, November 8, 2007

Thought for the day...

A short story for your day...

A professor began his lecture series on "ethics" by asking his students to opine on ethics, their source, and their guiding principles.

The conversation quickly shifted to one of existential opinionation. Phrases such as "it's all a matter of opinion" and "ethics are determined by the beliefs of the dominant culture" were generally agreed upon. When the professor brought up the idea of an "absolute truth" guiding ethics, he was largely disagreed with.

Towards the end of the class, the professor stopped the conversation and smiled widely. He began to explain how the class would work, and how students would be graded. He said:
"In the end, if I like you, I'll pass you. If I don't, you'll fail."

The students began to complain, and soon the word "injustice" emerged.

The professor laughed, saying: "Justice? Justice is just a matter of opinion. Justice is just a tool of self-determination. I'm the professor, I'm in charge, and therefore I am the dominant culture. This grading system fulfills me and makes me feel good about myself. I really, TRULY believe that it will fulfill you too."

The purpose of the lesson began to dawn on the students...

No comments: