Monday, November 19, 2007

On Christmas Trees and the Shopping (Advent) Season

On November 1st, I just about tripped while walking through my living room, seeing the unmistakable lights of a Christmas tree coming from a neighbor's window. Advent had not yet begun, the Turkeys had not yet been shipped, I still had a carved pumpkin on my balcony, yet here was the symbol of the Christmas season, right in my face every time I walked from my bedroom to the kitchen. Not suprisingly, and like a malignant growth, it soon split off and made friends.

Does anybody remember Advent? Yes, you recall: that unfortunate old quasi-religious practice that was once imposed on people by a dominating medieval Church? That time when religious prudes kept people from having fun? That period only slightly less unpleasant than Lent?

If you listen to college history professors and neo-bobo-yuppies, this is probably your perspective on the matter.

What about Advent as a time of reflection, as a time of greater quiet, as a time of moderation, a time of self-inquiry, a time of prayer, and a time to pursue peace in our lives and in the world?

Nah... I'm sure you don't need any of that. Clearly, the great success of modern man has proven that no such introspective periods (yoga lessons aside) are necessary. Who needs Advent when you have Prozac and the Wellness Network?

I once heard a noted author remark that "there is true genius in the structure of the Church." Advent, my friends, is a work of genius.

Every year, we sing the "12 days of Christmas." It's too bad we only celebrate one of those days. Or does anybody remember that the Christmas season actually BEGINS on the 25th?

The 23rd is still Advent. Not a good time to get sloshed at your company's Christmas party.

Let me suggest, in keeping with the Western world in all of but the past 25 or so years, that Advent is a valuable and necessary component to be experienced before we arrive at Christmas. I have found it to be personally beneficial. I will even fast a bit before the big day, just to bring further austerity and depth to the time. When Christmas Eve arrives, I really feel like something important is happening: this is greatly helped by the sense of awareness and personal balance which can be achieved during Advent.

Christmas Eve itself is traditionally used to celebrate the birth of Christ. In keeping with the Church's suggestion, my family has always practiced a vigil meal, and the mood is somber and reflective. I will say that now, at 29 years of age, the structure of our Christmas Eve allows me to still feel that child-like magic. It is perhaps even greater now, butressed with an adult's knowledge of the true meaning of this holiday. It is a "silent night," and a "holy night," and all really IS "calm," and all is certainly "bright."

I will suggest that a meaningful, somber, musical, spiritual and family-oriented time (sans tv) is a far superior way to celebrate Christmas Eve then take-out food, rented movies, needless Christmas parties, and last-minute shopping.

Christmas Day is the one thing we still have relatively right in our culture. I'll leave it alone.

What about the day AFTER Christmas? In Europe, it is still widely viewed as a holiday in which to visit other family and friends. Only in America do we have to trudge back to work. In fact, our Christmas parties should begin to be held on the 26th.

The Christmas Season proper begins on the 25th, a fitting celebration of the season lasting until Three Kings Day. Every year, my family proudly puts up their tree "late," keeping it going well past the new year. Every year, people ask us if we're either too lazy to take it down "on time," or if we're Orthodox.

Few things are sadder than the sight of Christmas Trees in the garbage and people bustling around, business as usual, on December 26th.

This year, I encourage you to embrace the tradition of the Advent and Christmas seasons, as they were meant to be celebrated. Perhaps you will experience the genius in this seasonal design, and -- as is intended -- come out a better and deeper person in the end.

No comments: