Monday, June 23, 2008

MusicX 2008

The silence is deafening. After seven days of activity, fourteen concerts, numerous masterclasses, and nightly mingling over German beer, I can hardly handle the sound of a quiet evening.

While it is difficult to summarize such a frenetic week of activity, highlights definitely come to mind. First, the inevitable negatives: Personally, I quickly drank my fill of Rzewski's crotchety anti-Americanism, and was ready to assign one man the Indian name of "Dances with Trombones." Jack Body drew the controversy of the week with his seemingly pro-nambla antics. The week certainly was designed to move on an upswing, however, and any early disillusionment I was feeling quickly melted into wonderful experience.

I happened to draw the most inspiration not from the music of the professional composers present, but from listening to the works of my peers. A generational comparison certainly convinced me that new music may once again be moving in the right direction.

Performance highlights included a very strong and moving piano trio exhibition by brothers Duccio and Vittorio Ceccanti and pianist Emanuele Arciuli. Arciuli would return later in the week to give a solo recital including an impeccable rendition of Charles Ives' Concord Sonata. Steve Reich's visit to the festival was certainly momentous, as was hearing a live performance of his Music for Eighteen Musicians, all while surrounded by talented youth and luminaries in the field. Surrounded by an enthusiastic audience (including the members of eighth blackbird), the atmosphere was absolutely electric.

eighth blackbird gave their performance of "the only moving thing," drawing varied reactions from dismay to (positively) overwhelmed emotions. From my perspective, having seen the program twice now, I found the concert to be musically satisfying and very moving. It certainly pushed boundaries, but definitely gave me a joyous listening experience.

After most evening concerts, all those involved (from the youngest to the oldest, from famous folks to unknowns) gravitated towards the local German pub. While I hesitate to say it, these social activities were perhaps the most valuable part of the week: connections were made, friendships were formed, and a good time was certainly had by all. Personally, I brushed up on how to give toasts in numerous languages, dominated the cornhole competition, planned future collaborations, and made plenty of new friends.


For many of us, MusicX was likely an artistic right of passage. I truly hope that the festival can continue into the future. Many thanks to Hermes for suggesting that I apply, to my generous host Jennifer, my congenial roommate Max, and all of the incredible people I met throughout the week.

May our new ties be strong, and remain far into the future.

No comments: