Sunday, March 18, 2007

Getting Out Of Life Alive

Have you ever had an authority figure in your life wound you?

Have you ever been told that you aren't capable, are lacking something, or just been blind-sided by well-meaning yet ultimately damaging judgement? Have you ever had a grand idea, plan, or viewpoint on life that was dashed or muddled by misunderstanding?

As a creative being, I'm only now realizing the long-term damage such situations can cause.

Some people deny the great gift of their clear-headed sanity, exchanging it for a banality which is at best a cheap imitation.

While I'm not always succesful, I try and take the first route, each and every day. I compose music to stay sane. I write words, to stay sane due to what the rigors of trying to be a composer does. I write words to give vent to other passions and ideas, to formulate thoughts, to have my .0000000001% say in the world. It all spirals back, and turns into music again. The process keeps me sane, clear-headed, and allows me to be rather pleasant to other people.

Some may find such statements to be "taking myself to seriously." I will counter by saying that most people don't take themselves seriously enough. Like it or not, you are a creation of the Almighty, endowed with ability and purpose. Our God is simply waiting for you to ask "where do I go?" He will give you direction. He will give you every means. To lack passion in the face of such gifts is simply unthinkable.

I've been formulating a theory recently, which states that the virtues (theological and otherwise) all have one similarity: they require some aspect of creativity to be utilized, accomplished, and embraced. To pursue a vocation, to build self-worth and relationships, and to pursue depth of character and life itself, all require some measure of creativity.

I would tell you more, but that would be giving away the premise of my future book on the subject.

(A book, you say? Man, this guy takes himself way too seriously.)

Perhaps you don't take yourself seriously enough?

I am also learning about the great damage that can be done to us, by those who are either "asleep" and pretending to be true creatives, or people who are blocked in their creativity, with all the resulting unused energy turning into a major negative force. I have such people in my life right now, and though I know that they are wrong, the damage is hard to avoid when shrapnel is flying everywhere.

You grin, you take it, and you dislodge shrapnel from your person on the weekends... that is, when you have time to have a weekend.

The world is a scary place, and comfort and security are understandable things to desire. Before you go dashing like an ostrich to its hole, remember a few things: You are God's child. You have imbued ability, and a calling (or, perhaps, several!) You are ultimately an immortal.

Do you give up such temporal gifts, such timeless adventure, for the lesser path? Do you forsake an eternity of glory, only if to have a few years of mortal peace?

"Knock, and you will be answered. Ask, and you will receive."

Christ's words are as hopeful as they are unsettling, because once an answer is given, something is expected in return.

Once you start on such a path, you can expect every roadblock in the world. After all, mediocrity will misunderstand you. The darker powers (I have a name for them) will work to keep you from discovering your potential. What can you do?

Live, or die trying. It is the only way.

Take yourself more seriously. God does. Laugh at yourself more than others. God does. Love and respect your life. God does.




No comments: